Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 06:40:04 -0800
From:      PVinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> Are there any plans/work in progress for allowing FreeBSD the ability
to have
>> filesystems span multiple physicle volumes (ala Logical Volume
Manager on
>> AIX/OSF) ?

[cut]
>It should also be noted that this type of arrangement is extremely
>fragile -- it's order n^2 for n disks more fragile than file systems
>not spanning disks at all.  You shouldn't attempt this type of
>thing without being ready to do backups.  Basically, a failure of
>one disk could theoretically take out all of you real file systems
>sitting on logical partitions that spanned that one disk.  Pretty
>gruesome, really.

Why?  Isn't this what the world is moving toward, ala RAID?  It's my
understanding that RAID spanning/striping adds about 20% to the file
system, but IMPROVES reliability/stability.

Most RAID systems I've investigated will let you pull a drive from the
array swap it with a new drive, and the system will rebuild the data ...
or so the claims go ..

Paul