Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 1995 23:39:09 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Hackers' list)
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

>> Here is my /etc/printcap file
>
>Does anyone "own" printing under FreeBSD?  I've often felt there to be
>a great, sucking vacuum in the printing side of things and it really
>would be NIFTY if somebody who actually OWNED A PRINTER (this does not
>include me) and was kind of DETAIL MINDED actually got mad and angry
>enough about the poor printer support and DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
>
>Any takers? :-)
>
>					Jordan

What is needed is a simple front end that asks for a few things that
are common to all printers (name, remote?, spool directory, error-log
file?, etc), asks for the printer type, fetchs the printcap for this
model printer that has been submitted and munges it based on the answers
given.  Someon who knows perl (I don't) should be able to do this pretty
easily.
--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1