Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 1995 13:18:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Bynum <bynum@grep.cs.fsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Booting off of the second drive

After reading through several FAQs, mail messages, and the like I tried to
make FreeBSD boot off of my second hard drive (which is a SCSI drive, the
first being an IDE drive) by modifying the code in
/usr/sys/src/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c (if I remember the path correctly).

Well I changed the line that said
part = unit = 0;

part = 0;
unit = 1;

I then did a make in that directory, a make install, and then did a disklabel
-B sd0. I got an error from disklabel saying that the drive was 0 revolutions
and 0 something else, but I disregarded them because I am currently running
from sd0.

Well after rebooting the boot program gives me an error like:
bad boot blocks:can't find /kernel

I can still boot using "hd(1,a)/kernel" but was wondering if there was a way
to fix the error? Did I do the above procedure correctly?

Thanks for any help,
Mark Bynum
bynum@cs.fsu.edu