Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 20:27:20 +1596657 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> 2)	Automatic generation/removal of devices on bus reset.  For
> 	instance, attach a device to the SCSI device chain, or
> 	power on a tape on the chain that was not powered on at
> 	boot time, and it can be made available.  The existance
> 	of a device file is no longer an ambiguous marker.

Yuck! Powering up/down for SCSI devices on the fly is generally a
sure way to hang the buses, screw the disks etc. It *should* work,
but my experience shows that it has something like a 20% chance to
bomb.

The above remark does not mean your point about devfs is invalid,
I'm just not thrilled by the example ;-)

Wilko