Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 13:38:28 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
Cc:        jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey), joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, uh@grep.cs.fsu.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet 2p

> > > Or if you're using a networked printer, connect to "rp=text" instead of
> > > "rp=raw" and it'll do it magically.
>
> > Huh ? what command or config file does this "rp=text" syntax plug into ?
>
> /etc/printcap. The HP networked lasers these days support BSD print services
> and can just be added to /etc/printcap without worrying about whether it's a
> printer or a complete system.

I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse but:

- We are not discussing a `networked laser' as far as I know.
  The original poster mentioned an HP 2P as I recall,
  He did Not mention having installed an ethernet card in the back of his laser
  (though I recall this is available (if expensive) for the 3 series,
  this card does admittedly come this extra software too, perhaps you're
  thinking of that ?

To quote man printcap:
	rp         str       ``lp''     remote printer name argument
as I understand it, one can use :rp=lp: & similar as a cascade function
to add extra attributes to a basic printcap entry, & that's it.
So unless the `text' entry pointed at by the r.h.s of your rp=text
generates an
	ESC & k 2 G
it wont do you any good.

I feel one of us is missing the point (& I'm not sure who),
perhaps we're talking at cross purposes ?

Julian S