Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 03:39:18 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Martin Butkus <y0001415@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: big files written to scsi harddisk got corrupted

>as on the Syquest. I presume this is a bug in FreeBSD as the drive is
>new and the controller is known to have worked flawlessly in another machine.
>In case you need it here is my configuration:
>
>Adaptec 1542 A SCSI controller (I use its floppy disk controller, too)

   The Adaptec 1542A is known to corrupt data for DMA's that are larger than
16Kbytes. FreeBSD uses I/O clustering both in the file I/O system and in the
VM system and DMA's are frequently larger than 16Kbytes. There are apparantly
some versions of the 1542A that don't have this problem, but every one that
I've tested does. If you upgrade the controller to a 1542B, the problems
should go away.

-DG