Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 12:05:29 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@alumni.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, jkh@whisker.hubbard.ie
Subject:   (fwd) Re: Mma for Linux, when?

  > From ianc@wri.com Thu May 18 07:45:22 1995
  >
  > While it would certainly be possible to port Mathematica to FreeBSD,
  > we do not currently have any plans to do so. In fact your message is
  > the first request we have had for this.
  >
  > It is not really practical for us to make a port of Mathematica
  > to a new platform if we will only sell a handful of copies. Of
  > course if someone came along with a purchase order for 100 copies
  > the situation would change.
  >
  > I hope this helps.
  >
  > --Ian
  > Ian Collier
  > Technical Sales Support
  > Wolfram Research, Inc.
  > Tel (217) 398-0700        Fax (217) 398-0747        ianc@wri.com
  > Wolfram Research Home Page                   http://www.wri.com/

Hmm, I know that my last message is not the first request, since I and
Jordan have asked before and I've seen other requests for a FreeBSD
port on usenet.  Apparently we're not as loud as the Linux crowd so
we're much more forgettable.  However, Ian's reply offers an invitation
for us to send more requests to him for a FreeBSD port.  Let's do this
in force.

							Jeffrey