Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 09:37:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        mmead@Glock.COM (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Photo CD utils?

[NOTE: redirected from hackers to questions]

matthew c. mead writes:
> assume I can do the same with FreeBSD.  Does anyone know of utilities for
> unix to convert .pcd (Kodak PhotoCD format) files to things I can view?

hpcdtoppm works like a charm.  If you are interested, I have a
couple patches at home that make it work on FreeBSD.
Unfortunately, this is not something that should go in the ports
collection because Kodak has threatened legal action against
anyone producing or distributing software to use the photocd
format without a license.  hpcdtoppm was written without by
examining actual photocd files, not with approval and
documentation from Kodak. See "Encyclopedia of Graphic File
Formats" by James D. Murry, published by O'Reilly & Associates
ISBN 1-56592-058-9 for more information.

-john