Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 12:17:47 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news software - which to use ?

Julian Howard Stacey stands accused of saying:

> Question:
>   	Which manuals should I read for which tools, to get my host to
> 	download a few newsgroups from my IP provider to read off line ?
> It seems FreeBSD offers a choice between at least nntp, cnews, & inn.

cnews and nntp are stagnant. INN is _the_ news tool of choice.

> I have current src & ports
> I connect via slip daily for a short time to my IP provider,
> I really do want those newsgroups local & off line, not read on line.

You should use UUCP over TCP/IP to transport your news, and INN locally
to process it.  Read the INN INSTALL document, and the infopages on
Taylor UUCP (should be part of the info distribution).

> I have looked in FAQ/Text & various mans, but would much appreciate
> a friendly pointer .. do I start with nntp, or cnews, or inn or ... ?

Get UUCP/TCP working to start with; then build & install INN & a newsreader
(I'd recommend nn, but that's just preference).

Create a few local newsgroups & experiment with administering them, then
get your ISP to batch you a _small_ amount of news via UUCP.

If your provider is too incompetent to configure their news server to
send for you via UUCP, then you'll have to look at scheduling your
connections to match their setup.  (NNTP is sender-driven, not receiver-
driven)

> Julian S	<jhs@freebsd.org>

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[