Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 22:13:01 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting with no kbd

FreeBSD won't seem to boot on 2 machines I have with no keyboard installed.
On both machines I have the "keyboard not installed" set in the bios.

On 1 machine the system won't even try to load the kernel. With boot manager
installed it just sits at the prompt and never times out. As soon as the
keyboard is plugged in it continues ok. Without boot manager it just hangs
without ever displaying the initial boot: prompt. The machine boots MS-DOS
OK in the same configuration.

The other machine loads the kernel ok, but then hangs at the sc0 probe. As
soon as the kbd is plugged in, it continues.

The only way I can get it to work is to disable sc0 on the second machine,
which means I'd have to enable it when I wanted to use the keyboard. I can't
get it to work on the first machine at all.

The goal it to have a machine that normally sits with no keyboard and to
plug in a  keyboard only when console maintanence is required.

Whats required to make this work? or does it work? There seems to be 2
separate problems here.

db