Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:23:29 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: make weirdness

 * ....and overlooked that it was not quite correct shell syntax (do should not
 * be followed by a semicolon). I wonder why the old make let it pass though.

Um, I don't think it's make.  make is just concatenating the lines at
\'s and giving the result to sh.  I don't think make does anything
about semicolons, sh is perfectly capable of handling them:

$ sh -c "echo foo ; echo bar"
foo
bar

So, why didn't the old sh complain?  Of course I dunno.

Satoshi