Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 1995 15:01:23 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.fr.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5 Software compatibilities

In message <199507131333.PAA00244@zapata.omnix.fr.org>, Didier Derny writes:
>are these softwares working with FreeBSD 2.0.5

>-   PCNFSD

Yes

>-   NFS locks

No - you try persuading Sun to release the protocol!

>-   CERN HTTP

Yes - check out ports/net/cern_httpd

>-   Netscape 1.1N

Yes.

>-   Mosaic

I don't know any reason why not, though I've not seen it running with my
own two eyes.

>-   Phoenix

Never heard of it. Any more info?

>-   Gnu Emacs

ports/editors/emacs (used to write this reply!)

>-   xemacs  (Lucid Emacs)

ports/editors/xemacs

>-   elm with mime

AFAIK (/usr/ports/mail/elm, /usr/ports/mail/metamail, /usr/ports/mail/mpack)

>-   any X11 mailer

Huh? You mean a mailer that has an X11 front end? Yes, there are
some examples of those available (xmh springs to mind).

>-   sendmail

Err - I hope so, it's part of BSD!

>-   Tailor uucp

AFAIK. Not used it myself.

>-   INN

ports/print/tin

>-   majordomo

Yes.

Yes (check ftpmail@ftp.cdrom.com!)

>-   Tex

ports/print/tex

>-   Latex

ports/print/latex

>-   ghostscript

ports/print/ghostscript

>-   tin

ports/news/tin

>-   groff

yes - part of base distribution.

>-   bootp

AFAIK, although I've not used it myself.

>-   snmp

CMU SNMP is available for 2.0.5.

>-   lynx

ports/net/lynx

>-   gnu ada

We have gnat (the GNU Ada Translator), although I don't think we have ada
itself.

>-   rzsz

ports/comms/rzsz

>-   seyon

ports/comms/seyon

>-   kermit

ports/comms/kermit

>-   ksh

ports/shells/pdksh

>-   pine

ports/mail/pine

>-   popper

ports/mail/popper

>-   motif  (mwm + dev library)

I believe a 2.0.5 compatable version of motif is available.

Gary