Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 1995 13:35:42 -0700
From:      donhum@ix.netcom.com (Don Humphreys)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "X" system installation...getting one's mouse to be recognized..

Dear Tech Support,

BACKGROUND INFO:
I have ordered, received, and installed the latest FreeBSD 2.05 from
Walnut Creek using the CD Rom.

As I have an IDE CD ROM interface, I installed from a DOS partition.

PROBLEM:
Here'S the problem...

Everything seemed to install Ok, except I cannot get the "X" system
configuration to recognize my MOUSE.

I have an ACER Pentium 60mhz machine that was preloaded with DOS 6.22
and windows 3.1.

The mouse driver is located in C:\mouse. MOUSE.EXE AND MOUSE.COM ARE
present in this directory?
DOS was installed (mounted) when setting up PARTITIONS during the
installation of FREEBSD. FREEBSD was installed in an extended
DOS partition.

When running the XCONfigure utiltity, as part of the installation
process, I have tried every variation that i could think of to specify
the location of the MICROSOFT COMPATIABLE (2 BUTTON) MOUSE.

What do I need to do in order to cofigure (install) X Windows in
FREEBSD? What directory should I specify when the location of the
mouse is requested in the XCONFIG dirctory...their example is
/dev/mouse.  This didn't work, nor did /dos/mouse (mountpoint of C:
dos), nor anything else I tried.

I don't remember the exact error message, but I believe that it
was MOUSE NOT configured or not found...something to that effect.
AT any rate, the result is that X windows does not load.

I'm new to UNIX and FREEBSD, so I wouldn't be surprised that I have
overlooked something.

PLEASE advise.

Sincerely,

Don Humphreys