Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 1995 15:52:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr, ache@astral.msk.su, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

> > > Daemons that are started by /etc/rc.local or by root are /*/sbin not in
> > > libexec. Daemons that are started by inetd are in */libexec.
> >
> > Daemons that are run from the command line (or can be run from the command
> > line) go in /usr/src/sbin,  Daemons that are only started by other programs
> > go in /usr/libexec.  There is nothing about rc files or ``root'' in the
> > applicable criteria.
> >
> > Please refer to ``man 7 hier'' when talking about such things:
> >
> > 	libexec/	system daemons & system utilities (executed by other
> > 			programs)
> >
> > 	sbin/		system daemons & system utilities (executed by users)
> >
> > Please do not make up your own rules, these things are defined in the sited
> > man page.  I have seen 3 wrong definations in todays mail :-(.
>
>   Have you looked at the ports/packages lately?  Everyone seems to play
> by different rules.

No, but it ain't a ``true'' BSD port if it don't follow the rules layed
out for BSD.

>   - samba - creates a /usr/local/samba/{bin/lib/var} hierarchry.  The
> daemons should be in /usr/local/sbin and the config files in
> /usr/local/etc, and the logs in /var/log

Well, go fix it then!  This is an incomplete porting job.

>   - wu-ftpd - the daemon is installed in /usr/local/etc instead of
> /usr/local/libexec

Well, go fix it then!  Again, incomplete porting job.

>   - emacs installs a bunch of stuff in /usr/local/libexec that don't
> appear to be daemons

Ditto...

>   And there are many others.  This lack of conformity makes packages
> difficult to use, since quite often you don't know where config files are
> to be located unless you reference the source, which defeats the whole
> point of packages.  Packages almost never include crucial README or
> INSTALL documents.  Basically, packages suck.

Only because folks are not completely ``porting'' it to the BSD paradigm.
When I port stuff locally all of these types of things get corrected as
well.  I like consistency, it is important to be productive.

Porting should not stop at the point that it just sort of works, porting
is finished truley when the package works seamlessly and coherently with
the rest of the BSD paradigm's.  Anything less is an incomplete job.

I am not meaning to beat up on the porters out there, they have done one
heck of a lot of work, and things are far far better than they where a
year ago.  But now it would be nice to start to clean up some of these
issues, and where possible feed these changes back to the original porter
(ifdef'ed if need be).