Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 1995 18:06:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: PLEASE help -- lpr

>     >> There has to be someone out there who is using a PS
>     >> printer. Please send me a copy of your /etc/printcap file.
>
> I am.
>
>     Christoph> Could it be that you need a filter that converts plain
>     Christoph> printing ascii files?
>
> For a PostScript printer, CR/LF translation won't affect ANYTHING.

I didn't say this. I said 'printing ascii files' - see above.
I read very well that he could print PS well.
But printing two long lines alone can move the 'cursor' of the
printer out of the visible paper range and you end up with blank pages.
That's what I observerd once with a HP LJET III.

>     Christoph> I had this problem with a HP laserjetIII. I've written
>     Christoph> a litte C program that inserted a CR everytime a LF was
>     Christoph> found and made that to an entry in /etc/printcap:
>
> Surely there're easier ways than a little C program ... say,
> translation on the tty port (assuming a serial port), or ``tr''?

Most printers are connected to parallel ports these days.

> Joseph: back to the problem with the HP LaserJet 4 with PostScript.  I
> thought I already sent you a copy of my /etc/printcap and my PS output
> filter.  If you didn't receive them, let me know.  If you did receive
> them and they're not working, let me know.
>
> --
> Sean Kelly
> NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA
>
> Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.  I think
> I've forgotten this before.  -- Steven Wright

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0:
Tue Jul 18 14:49:19 MET DST 1995     kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de:
/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386