Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 02:18:21 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk
Cc:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.ports.mk checksum

 * I'm not sure how this ever became the case, it certainly was never my

It changed when the targets got all chained up, because everything
eventually depends on checksum.

 * Also, once the port is extracted, there is not much the current system
 * can do about mis-matches, apart from gripe, which is kinda pointless
 * IMHO.

Hmm, I thought that (gripe) was the whole point.  That's all it can do
anyway!

This is the logic: if the checksum in the files/md5 is different, that
means files/md5 is updated after the distfile, which means the other
support files (Makefile, patches, package files, etc.) are updated
too, so it's no longer valid do to anything at this port (whether it's
already extracted or not).

Satoshi