Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 08:44:19 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mark Murray <markm@freefall.FreeBSD.org>, CVS-commiters@freefall.FreeBSD.org, cvs-user@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/eBones/registerd Makefile registerd.c

> Was there a reason for changing all function declarations from:
>
> static send_recv(pkt,rpkt,f,_to,addrs)
>     KTEXT pkt;
>     KTEXT rpkt;
>     int f;
>     struct sockaddr_in *_to;
>     struct hostent *addrs;
> {
>
> to:
>
> static int send_recv(KTEXT pkt, KTEXT rpkt, int f, struct sockaddr_in *_to,
>     struct hostent *addrs)
> {

Yes. The code had not been maintained by its original author(s) in many years
(since 1989). I had been asking for a while for code reviewers and help etc,
and found little. I then went qnd found a couple of up-to-date (newish)
pieces of BSD code (I can't remember which, now) and modeled the coding
style on them.

The old code was _really_ bad. In many places there were no or conflicting
function definitions, and the easiest way to generate headers was to do
them in-place.

It is _not_ my intention to do this to every piece of code I touch. I just
did it here to jack the code back up into the 20th century.

> I don't view this as a cleanup at all.  It makes unnecessary conflicts with
> the original code and makes it more difficult to incomperate patches from
> outside sources.

I understand your reservations, but there has been little or no movement in
this code since 1989, and it is suffering badly from bit rot. We have just
about the whole eBones source in our tree now, and anything else just needs
the headers.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grumble.grondar.za for PGP key