Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 02:25:38 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        paul@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

 * I don't like the way dependencies currently work.
 *
 * I want to build ghostview but it depends on ghostscript so when I try
 * and compile it it first goes off to get ghostscript and builds that,
 * but I've already got ghostscript installed!
 *
 * Can't the dependencies use pkg_* in some way to see if the package already
 * exists before trying to rebuild it again?

Uhh, it should.  The line:

  EXEC_DEPENDS=   gs:${PORTSDIR}/print/ghostscript

in the ghostview Makefile does exactly that, check if the program "gs"
is in the search path (it uses "which"), and goes to build ghostscript
only if it's not found.

Maybe you don't have /usr/local/bin in your root's search path, then
well sorry, it won't work, and I don't see any workaround for it.

Satoshi