Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 08:44:09 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        davidg@freefall.FreeBSD.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        CVS-commiters@freefall.FreeBSD.org, cvs-usrbin@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/xinstall xinstall.c

>>   Brought in change from rev 1.2: don't unlink target on failure of strip.

>Both Bruce and I objected strongly to this hack, it is a hack, it should be
>backed out of both branches and redone correctly.

>It was added to fix the abuse of install -s to install non binary files.
>Installs specifically says in its man page it is for installing binary
>files.

I decided not to object again, because install's error handling is so
poor that a little more won't be noticed.  E.g., strip() returns void
after unlinking the file, so install usually "succeeds" after unlinking
the bad target.  It may unlink the source ...

It should exit after unlinking the file; it should exit if unlink()
fails ...

I plan to change install to leave the original file alone for longer, so
that it can clean for failures up without touching the target.  Now it
unlinks the target very early, so it can't restore the target, and
when strip() fails the file being unlinked is usually a copy of the
source.

Bruce