Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 21:38:40 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pilot error on my part or feedback on the 2.1 snap

On the advice of Richard Wackerbarth I decided to install the 2.1 snap
instead of the 2.0.5 RELEASE. This after years of running FreeBSD 1.x
and 386BSD before that. While I applaud the new improved installation
there needs to be a way to see what went wrong with something, a terse
"It didn't work" isn't very satisfying. Howzabout a "Press F3 to see
the log" or something similar? It could stand an "expert only" escape
to a command shell too.

I've tried quite a few different ways through the menus, but one thing
that's confounded me more than once was, when trying to (W)rite the
disklabel, to have it tell me that I have to label the disk in order
to complete this operation. Now this seems confusing when I'm in
disklabel, trying to disklabel the disk, to have it tell me I need to
label the disk in order to label the disk. :-)

But even more confounding is, when it finally seems willing to write
the label, to have the kernel panic with the message "biodone: buffer
not busy", sync the disk and reboot. So far this has happened several
times and I have been otherwise unsuccessful in installing.

Is this somehow a pilot error or should I fall back to 2.0.5?

The machine is a recent vintage 486DX/2, PCI, onboard EIDE controller,
onboard parallel and two 16550 serial. Only cards are a PCI Mach64 VGA
and an old Logitech busmouse controller. The boot probe says that wdc0
is an AC31200F. The disk itself is, as I recall, a Seagate Barracuda,
1222 meg drive, actual geometry reported during the boot probe is 2484
Cyl, 16 H, 63 Sec, CMOS geometry is 621 Cyl, 64 H, 64 Sec. This machine
has been running OS/2 3.0 quite happily for many moons with no problems.

Thoughts?

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY