Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 13:51:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Re: IFS and win95

> Win95 seems to have support for user installable file systems...

This is massively undocumented code, especially path manipulation
and error management.

> I don't have any good technical references on this yet, but is
> anyone writing drivers for ext2 and ffs filesystems in win95?

Artisoft (the company I work for) is entering Alpha testing on an
FFS port to Win95 to resolve the drive size, partition size, speed,
and fragmentation issues that VFAT doesn't.

> Is there any reason why this can't work?

None at all.  In fact, we have ported the entire Heidemann framework
to Win95 and added short file name and Unicode support to UFS.  Any
FS written to the Heidemann framework should run (ext2, Andrew, UFS,
LFS, etc.).

> Can anyone point me a good references?

The only reference for IFS is in the MS DDK, and it's not really written
expecting people will actually use it to do real things.  Your best bet
would be to buy WinICE and step through the debug version of Win95 (you
can install symbol containing VXD's from the DDK) after setting a
breakpoint on IFSMgr_RegisterMount.  Then watch what VFAT does.  Note
that this changed between Beta 950 and the release version of Win95.

This really doesn't belong on this list.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.