Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 00:09:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-950928-SNAP now available for testing

As Jake Hamby wrote:

> There are a few remaining bugs in the fixit disk:
>
> 1) It's nice that you've included the floppy tape filter 'ft' on the
> fixit.  It would be even nicer if you included the /dev/rft0 device node
> so we could actually use it! :-)
>
> 2) vi won't run unless it has a /tmp directory it can write to, and it
> complains if it doesn't have /var/tmp for it's vi.recover file.  Simply
> 'mkdir /tmp /var/tmp' will fix this.
>
> 3) When I typed 'pwd' from the fixit shell, it complained 'can't find
> /stand/pwd' and went into some kind of weird subshell.  Any further
> commands were just ignored, but exiting got me back to the previous
> shell.

There are most likely more things missing.  I haven't checked the
current state of affairs, my 2.1-alpha is being built right now.

Last time i've checked the fixit floppy, many things weren't there.
Among them (offhand):

o  a minimum termcap file
o  a non-null spwd.db file (containing at least the root entry, so
   rsh/rcp/rdump/rrestore would work)
o  mount_mfs, to enable large /tmp filesystems; restore requires
   lots of space in /tmp in order to drop its symtab files
o  the ps(1) command was entirely useless (no /dev/kmem, no kernel
   with a symbol table around)

Does anyone else have wishes for the fixit floppy?

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/