Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 10:40:34 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

> > For some machines (e.g. laptops) it is too expensive to add memory,
> > often they use special modules or just don't have the slots.  I
> > think we can manage by making it not too hard for 4MB users to
> > build their own boot floppy (on a guest system, if it cannot be
> > supplied as default).
>
> Alternately, and I'm not fundamentally opposed to this, if someone out
> there wants to sit down and build a boot floppy that WILL work in 4MB
> by ripping some large piece of its component anatomy out, well, I
> certainly won't stand in their way and will even go as far as sticking
> it on the CDROM and the FTP areas with a little note to the effect
> that it's to be considered a solution of last resort for 4MB folks.
>
> I just don't want to have to go down that road myself - I have too
> many larger install issues to worry about between now and next Sunday.

May be I have lost some important points in your discussion but why you
cannot use 2 boot floppies ? It may be an option, you can put both
single-floppy and double-floppy versions on the CD-ROM.

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia