Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 1995 14:05:21 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> As =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:
> >
> > >If I create a file that has extended ASCII (ISO8859-1) characters in the
> > >name, ls always substitues a '?' for the non-ASCII characters. Note
> > >that ls on, e.g. SVR4, does not do this
> >
> > Did you setenv ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE before calling ls?
> > See environ(7) (-current).
>
> IMHO, the base utilities that use <ctype.h> should properly initialize
> the locale instead of relying on that hack.  (The hack is useful to
> force programs that don't like to handle locale's, but base utilities
> of the system are expected to do it right theirselves.)

Yup, they could. It'd be a lot of work to go through every program and
add it. I could be way off base (great U.S./American colloquillism) but
my guess is that most programs probably don't need it unless you're also
going to make them use message catalogs at the same time, adding even
more work and probably compounding the issue of having a single boot
floppy and or loading in 4Meg.

As near as I can tell the SVR4 ls doesn't change its locale, yet still
manages to do the right thing, probably because for most SVR4-en the C
locale is full ISO8859-1. This leads me to believe that FreeBSD's ls
probably doesn't need to change its locale either if the default chartype
table is fully populated.

--

Kaleb