Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 19:04:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, kaleb@x.org, ache@astral.msk.su, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> I have the following by default in my environment :
>
> LANG=fr_FR.ISO_8859-1
> LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
>
> As soon  as I switch LC_CTYPE  to fr_FR.ISO_8859-1, all xterms started from
> this terminal  will  dump core  (well,  they won't because  xterm is setuid
> root), each time. The signal is SEGV.

Your xterm is improperly pretending to be internationalized.  It's
pretending because there is bogus code in crt0.o that causes it to
call setlocale() when XPG/3 and XPG/4 both say it shouldn't.

Either don't try to run in an international environment... or use
an xterm clone from contrib instead of xterm that really has been
internationalized.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---