Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 08:32:05 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN: Sync vs Async. Was: Bragging rights..

   Buddy, in this business, people PAY for bandwidth.  An ISP could really care
   less about the technology used to connect a customer's site - it only
   affects recurring monthly costs and startup costs, which are passed off to
   the customer anyways.  What you're REALLY paying the ISP for is bandwidth!

Or IP priority.  Pay twice the price customer B pays, see 2 packets gone
for every packets B sends.  If the links get sticky, customers up their
priority, and ISP gets more money to buy more bandwidth (or takes the money
Las Vegas and looses his customers, but that doesn't count :).  Voila', a
self-tuning free-market system.  Typically home users are willing to settle
for low priority and low price, and WWW service providers want high
priority and are willing to pay for it.

   If you get some wonder gizmo that does compression, only a stupid ISP would
   allow you to use it without charging you extra.  Same principle.

Or one with routing technology which can prioritize customer's traffic
according to the price they pay.  The technology isn't there yet, though I
have got a flakey proto written at HUT and I think someone else is also
working on similar modifications.  I have also heard cisco planning to do
something like this.

   serial port to the customer.  They're probably NOT going to be using an ET
   card in a FreeBSD box, but even if they do - I can purchase 32 async ports

BTW, I have a $1000 (minus possible taxes) reward available for the author
of a free driver for a commonly available synchronous serial card like SDL,
ET or Arnet.  Ie. sources available and non-restrictive license (preferably
both GPL and Berkey to allow it to be included both in Linux and *BSD*).
Need to talk to ciscos (that is what usually is in the other end).  Needs
to work and support multiple cards per machine.  Preferably well-written (I
think SDL and Arnet cards are both based on the same Hitachi 64570 chip so
they could use common code).  I know noone would write the driver from
scratch just for just $1000, but maybe it could motivate someone to clean
up his internal-purposes quick hack and release it :-).  Anyone else
willing to contribute?

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@clinet.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4375360 fax -4555276