Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 01:14:19 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for WD8003E abandoned?

>I have a site that has been trying to install 2.0.5, toying
>with a migration from Linux.  However, the WD8003E card he has
>is not detected under FreeBSD, despite carefully setting all
>the parameters in UserConfig.
>
>I plan to visit the site today, but since this guy installs hardware
>for ISPs, I think he knows what he is doing.
>

>I tried the same thing on 2.1.0-951026-SNAP on three WD8003EB boards
>I have around here.  They are all detected, but none work!

   I'm surprised to hear this, but it has been a long time since I
specifically tested 8bit wd8003e's. Still, I can't think of any changes to
the driver that could have broken this. It sounds like an interrupt conflict
with another card - the driver doesn't even initialize the irq for those
cards since they don't have soft configuration - the irq is hard strapped
on the card. ...So I'm at a loss to understand how it could be missing the
interrupt. I suppose that problem could be elsewhere in the driver, however...

-DG