Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 1995 11:40:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        gena@NetVision.net.il
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot code

> Hello!
>
> On Fri Nov  3 03:05:55 1995 Michael Smith wrote:
> [skipped]
> >
> >"Missing Operating System" is not an OS-BS error message; it's a common
> >BIOS one though.
> >
> >If it's OS-BS complaining, the message would be "No operating system" -
> >can you confirm which one you are seeing?
>
> Yes, you right , it's: "No operating system" :-)
>

> >> So, how can i restore the bootstrap program? (disklabel -B sd0 does
> >> not do that job).
> >
> >disklabel -r -B sd0 is probably what you want.
>
> Does not work either.
> Booting from floppy every time just makes me sick...:-(
use "fdisk -u /dev/rsd0"
when asked about geometry, specify the BIOS geometry.
(for an adaptec this is usually 64 heads, 32 sectors.. use boot: -v
to see exactly what) and then allow it to automatically calculate the
beginning and end sectors/cylinders/heads after just accepting the
default figures for the BSD partition.
(run fdisk several times first to get used to it, but always answering 'NO'
to the last question when it asks if it should write out the new MBR)