Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 19:13:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jhs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: startslip

> > I *think* I might have a clue why it works for me and doesn't work other
> > folks.  I didn't get it work until I setup a getty on my new box running
> > on ttydX, where X is the same port (cuaaX) I was trying to use startslip
> > on.  Why it works that way I don't know, but having the getty running is
> > a nice backup solution.  If/when slattach dies on my box, I can dial in
> > remotely and start it backup. :)
>
> Just tried it.  No difference - the start script cycles over and over
> and over, as usual.  Bleh.
>
> Maybe someone can spot a bogon.

Yea, what is the setup of your /dev/cuaa1 device like, I suspect that as
soon as chat closes /dev/cuaa1 it hangs up the modem.  What is hupcl on
/dev/cuaa1 set to??

I have my modem tweaked so that it ignores the control signals that cause
it to hang up (when you have 24x7 slip it is kinda silly to have a reboot
hang up the modem).  You can do that, or use /etc/rc.serial to set the
right control device to not do a hupcl.