Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 10:57:00 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on the install and on Red Hat Linux.

On Sat, 25 Nov 1995 12:18:45 -0800, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> said:

Jordan> Nonetheless, I was favorably impressed by the sheer depth of their
Jordan> coverage and I was asked enough questions to bring me all the way up
Jordan> into X on the first try, the installer even giving me the chance to ID
Jordan> everything from my board's clock chip to the monitor specs.  Yup, this
Jordan> is how to do it!

A Mac-friend and I just spend about 16 hours trying to install Caldera
(RH Linux, plus Visix desktop, plus Novell, plus ...). What a
nightmare. The usual Linux root+boot disk (plus two, for Caldera), but
I can live with that (tho I certainly prefer *one* disk with FreeBSD).

Main problem was that if you didn't know exactly what hardware you
had, you were hosed. Only after you selected and wrote a boot disk,
then got through the entire network config dialog, did it discover it
didn't recognize your card (eg: maybe you selected a boot with ed*
drivers rather than le*). Same for the CDROM: very late in the
install, when you're about ready to slurp it all onto the hard disk
does it discover that it can't see the CDROM. Major waste of time.

Jordan> My primary goal
Jordan> is that we get some *robust* tools, with plenty of safety netting, and
Jordan> an easy-to-use interface for them that looks halfway like something
Jordan> you might expect to see on a commercial product.

IMHO, it ought to do a *lot* of probing up front -- looking for every
kind of device which can be stuffed onto a boot disk, and identifying
all configs. A "commercial" user isn't gonna know what kind of ether
or CD or SVGA clock chip or... he has on his/her Gateway, Dell, or
other store-bought box. And they shouldn't have too.

A simple design goal: don't let the user get down the road fail
because of something that could have been determined earlier.

Jordan> Once in X, the root login had a reasonable set of defaults (I made a
Jordan> note: give root some reasonable .dotfiles!! :-) for bringing up fvwm
Jordan> and a small desktop,

Good. You certainly want to reassure them by giving them something
they can recognize and immediately *use*. I'm sure we all had our
problems getting our very first .cshrc/.login/.Xdefaults right!

Jordan> 3. We should start looking at what we need to do to get the user into
Jordan>    X in as fool-proof a fashion as possible, working with the folks
Jordan>    doing #1 for the various GUI elements required.

I'd suggest aggressive probing, then confirmation with the user, with
an "out" if the user doesn't know. Failing good information on HW
config, default to something most likely to work (eg: VGA X11, rather
than nothing; WD8003, if that's the most prevalent ether clone, etc).

Jordan> Only half, however, and their continued use of libdialog has cramped
Jordan> their style outside of X (where one still spends considerable amounts
Jordan> of time during the RedHat install), forcing some information to be
Jordan> presented in a somewhat constrained fashion.  A good example of this
Jordan> are their TCP/IP setup dialogs, and some of the early X stuff.

Yeah, I prefer FreeBSD's here: you can see it all at once.