Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 03:37:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 2.0b3

It seems that chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu said:
>         Anyone try to use the mail window of the new netscape? It searches
> for the mail spool directory in /usr/spool/mail. Any ideas on how we
> can get get around this?

I will probably have  to duck under the  table  to avoid several  pieces of
furniture (sp?) by saying  the following  but anytime  I see  people raving
about Netscape (I don't speak about you, it is a general feeling) I want to
say this:

Use  a real mail   programs to read mail.   Use a real  newsreader to  read
News. Don't use netscape. It is a pretty decent  WWW browser (if you forget
some stupid proprietary extentions) and *it should stay a WWW browser*.

Netscape reminds me of all  the integrated program  like Synphony, Jazz and
Framework that tried to do everything  but the coffee and failed everywhere
at some point.

Netscape is  big, bloated and  come without sources.  They  forgot the Unix
philosophy of KISS.

I use it sometime when I need to see some  graphical page and Lynx the rest
of the time. I should recompiled Mosaic 2.7 to  avoid Netscape but I'm lazy
and it will be almost as big as Netscape due to Motif.

Fire away...
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #7: Mon Nov  6 21:08:06 MET 1995