Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 21:00:27 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Jason Wright <jason@oozoo.vnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reboots (SCSI)

>I've have been experiencing uptimes anywhere from 3 days to 4 hours (not
>too good, eh?)
>
>I've enclosed all of the messages prior to each reboot (today!).  By
>just the looks of the first two, I'd guess that sd2 was flaking out
>(it's well ventilated, I've heard the horror stories about Baracuda drives).
>But, the third appears to be related to sd3.  After each there were some
>messages about syncing the disks and 'automagic reboot in 15 seconds...'.
>
>I'm almost at my wits end trying to solve this problem (and my Boss has
>suggested SCO, please save me!).  Seriously, any help comments or ideas
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>--Jason Wright
>jason@oozoo.vnet.net
>
>Reboot #1:
>ahc0: target 2, lun 0 (sd2) timed out
>sd2(ahc0:2:0): BUS DEVICE RESET message queued.
>ahc0: target 2, lun 0 (sd2) timed out
>ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #1. 3 SCBs aborted
>ahc0: target 2, lun 0 (sd2) timed out
>ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #2. 0 SCBs aborted
>ahc0: target 2, lun 0 (sd2) timed out
>ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #2. 0 SCBs aborted
>ahc0: target 2, lun 0 (sd2) timed out
>ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #2. 0 SCBs aborted
>panic: ahcintr: AWAITING_MSG for an SCB thatdoes not have a waiting message

   This is caused by bugs in the aha2940 driver. Justin Gibbs (the author of
the driver) has been working on a fix for the problem. I'm able to reproduce
the problem here fairly easily (I can make it happen within a minute or two
with 7 4.3GB Quantum Grand Prix drives). Hopefully we'll have a fix for you
soon.

-DG