Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 10:29:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, m.sapsed@bangor.ac.uk, hm@hcs.de, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

As David Greenman wrote:

> >I believe this is here in kern/vfs_bio.c:
> >
> >>	int s = splbio();
> >>
> >>	bh = BUFHASH(vp, blkno);
> >>	bp = bh->lh_first;
> >>
> >>	/* Search hash chain */
> >>	while (bp) {
> >
> >where we go indirect on that bp.
>
>    This is a "can't happen" panic. It can only happen if the CPU executes the
> instructions incorrectly. The assembly code is:

>         movl _bufhashtbl(,%eax,4),%ebx
>         testl %ebx,%ebx		<- exit if bp is NULL

>From my analysis (after Hellmuth's bug report), it was just one line
above.  I'm suspecting something with the BUFHASH() macro.  Remember,
the ``fault virtual address''es are somewhat weird for all bug
reports, in this case it's 0x52.  So it's not a NULL pointer, hence
not easy to check.

To recall it, the symptoms are that this panic happens for some people
with many cd drives, and _only_ when accessing the last drive.

--
cheers, J"org