Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 22:01:39 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw (Chien-Ta Lee), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Date: Wed 27 Dec, 1995
> Subject: Re: syscons driver

> > SVGAlib is a wank.  Sorry to all those Linuxers who just love it, but
> > it doesn't actually _achieve_ anything.
>
> Well, I think that's actually a bit harsh..  I've seen a couple of
> perfectly acceptable games running under svgalib (asteroids, doom) and

How far away are we from being able to support Linux's SVGAlib in emulation
mode?

Since I need a separate X server to run xdoom in 320x200 mode anyway, I'd
rather just dedicate a virtual console to sdoom instead (taking a fireball
in the face while accidentally visiting another virtual screen would also
be less of a problem :-).

The Chinese terminal emulator for Linux might also be used like this.

> you need a low level shim written for each type of gfx card chipset.

Is this necessary just for the "interesting" modes (640x480x4 and 320x200x8)?
X is just fine for anything fancier...

If syscons will do those modes, then of course we don't need native svgalib.

		Mark.