Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 12:34:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting for Promise 2300+ controller?

I asked awhile back on the -stable mailing list what I needed to
know about installing a Promise 2300+ EIDE controller in my FreeBSD
2.1-stable box considering the LINT kernel config file says EIDE
drives aren't supported.  The only responses I got were people
asking me to pass along the information if I figured it out.

I've seen people asking questions here about Promise 2300+
controllers and ATAPI CD-ROM drives.  To those in the know, what
were the settings you set your card at, and what options did you
have to compile your kernel with to get the sytem to boot correctly?
I don't have an ATAPI CD-ROM drive, just the said controller.

I have standard IDE drives formatted using CHS so I've turned off
LBA mode on the card (is LBA mode even supported considering the
comments from the LINT config file?).  With those setting, my DOS
partition boots fine, but the FreeBSD partition stops after about 2
rotations of the spinner.

If anybody has any info on this, it sounds like more than just
myself is looking for the answers.  Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>  |                                )
(             <wsantee@oz.net> (backup) | No one told you when to run... )