Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:20:09 -0500
From:      "Tim M. Kelley" <tkelley@cy.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   removing boot manager?

Hello all,

How can I remove the boot manager installed during the FreeBSD 2.1R
installation besides using FDISK? I asked this question here before and was
told to use
    FDISK /MBR
Unfortunately, for reasons I don't fully comprehend, whenever I try to run
FDISK, the program returns the message:
    No Hard Drives installed!

The reason I want to remove the boot manager is because it isn't recognizing
my FreeBSD bootable disk. The disk is set up as the master drive on the
secondary IDE ribbon, and it's partition is set to be bootable.

Here is the pertinent configuration info:
Pentium 75 Mhz, Intel PCI motherboard, 32 Mb RAM
1.44 Mb Floppy
Drive 1: Western Digital 1.2Gb set as master on primary IDE ribbon (DOS)
CD ROM: Toshiba ATAPI set as slave on primary IDE ribbon
Drive 2: Maxtor 1.0Gb set as master on secondary IDE ribbon (FreeBSD only)
Drive 3: Maxtor 200Mb set as slave on secondary IDE ribbon(currently garbage)

Thanks for your help,
Tim Kelley