Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 1996 18:18:50 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How do you folks generate PLISTs?

"Andrew V. Stesin" wrote:
> that's the question I want to ask porting gurus:

I'm no guru, I've only done a couple, but anyway...

> has anyone some kind of "technology" or hints of how to
> automate PLIST file creation? (I'm new to the mtree utility,
> I suspect that it might help, but don't have some creative idea
> on "howto"). You all know, of course -- some _big_ piece of code,
> a bunch of executables/manpages/configfiles... how to fight this?

The way _I_ do it is to move my /usr/local out of the way, say to
/usr/local.BAK. I then make a new (and therefore clean) /usr/local
and install to that. I then move the new /usr/local to (say)
/usr/local.PLIST and the old one back to where it belongs.

Now I can examine the /usr/local.PLIST for glitches, problems
etc. If I am happy, "find . -type f" and "find . -type l"
tell me what has been installed in an almost PLIST-compatible
way. After that editing is a cinch.

This does not work for X11R6 ports or on systems in use by other
folks, but is OK for single-owner/user workstations otherwise.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key