Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 21:15:33 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 230.400 bps on serial port

>> I need a reliable data transfer rate of 230.400 bps on the serial port for
>> PPP. Can that be done ? getty only has a setting for 115.200 bps. I have a
>> Gigabyte 586 ATEP mainboard with FIFOs. Can I use them for 230.400 bps, and
>> how ? Or should I buy a special serial card for that ?

>Note that at the speed you suggest a 16550 UART will be generating around
>15,000 interrupts per second.  This will place a _serious_ load on your
>system, and if you're using IDE disk, may cause you to suffer communications
>problems.

All wrong.

- 230400 bps full speed bidirectional generates at most 23040 / 16 +
  23040 / 14 = 3085 interrupts/second.

- 15000 serial interrupts/second isn't a _serious_ load under FreeBSD.  On
  a 486/33, 23040 serial interrupts/second for full speed bidirectional
  through a 16450 has an total (user + sys + intr) overhead overhead of
  about 33%.  This is only a serious overhead :-).  On the same system,
  the interrupt overhead for a slow (1.25MB/sec) IDE disk is 56% for 2500
  interrupts/second, and the overhead for an 1100K/sec WD8013EBT ISA
  ethernet card is 21% Sys + 54% Intr for 756 interrupts/second.

- IDE disks have no effect on serial communications under FreeBSD.
  (Bus-hogging DMA controllers may have an adverse affect if they steal
  too many cycles.)

Bruce