Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 1996 15:27:59 -0800
From:      Chris Lambertus <cmlambertus@ucdavis.edu>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft "Get ISDN"?

> Now, the idea of configuring the ISDN for a "Windows-based PC" sounds like
> typical Microsoft-speak, but is the provisioning process as difficult as MS
> makes it out to be if I don't go through them?

No.  It is very simple to get an ISDN line.  You have what boils down
to two options.  One BRI (64Kbit) or two bonded BRI's (128Kbit).  You
call the phone company, and they will come in and install the line and
give you the SPID numbers your ISDN modem needs to connect properly.

> Also, I just checked FreeBSD's ISDN support as of -current, and it only
> supports two "Dr. Neuheus" brand internal ISDN adapters!  Does this mean
> that, given a choice, I should ask for an external ISDN modem?  If so,
> which brands are recommended for use with FreeBSD?  Also, am I correct to
> assume that an external ISDN modem is treated just like a regular
> Hayes-compatible modem, or does it require special kernel support?

The simplest way to configure an ISDN device is by using an ISDN->Ethernet
bridge.  This is a box that plugs into your ISDN line on one end, and into
your Ethernet on the other end.  You can also get ISDN modems that plug into
your serial port which are then used as point to point links (ppp, slip).

I would stay away from internal ISDN cards.  The support for them on
anything other than 'doze is minimal at best.  With an external box,
you can also be assured that it'll move with your hardware should you
change platforms.

Also, I don't know where you're located, but Pacific Bell (california)
has a good web page on ISDN.
http://www.pacbell.com/Products/res_products.html

Hope this helps.

-Chris

Christopher M. Lambertus         | cmlambertus@ucdavis.edu
IR Distributed Systems Security  | Office: (916) 754-9022
University of California         | Fax: (916) 752-9154
Davis, California 95616          | Gabbpuy! 4400 forever!