Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 1996 00:11:14 +0800 (GMT+0800)
From:      "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map@iphil.net>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: csh hanging around after disconnect

Joe Greco wrote:

> It's something that doesn't exist but would be implemented by adding a
> little code to all the networking daemons.  Particularly the daemons without
> timeouts..

Looks like a bigger task than it should be.  Perhaps this should
be more configurable... or compilable with a #define, ISP -
"define -DISP if you're running the daemons on an ISP machine."

The effect is the machine runs out of ptys.  I would want to
install that, but this is a client machine that runs remotely,
and I don't want to take chances unless I'm on-site.

> > Another way - can we looked through the logged in users at regular
> > intervals and find out who's disconnected?  You could compare this
> > against the list of logged in users ('show sessions'), but
> > we'd have to differentiate from users who are telnetted in from
> > somewhere else...

> No, that gets to be very difficult very quickly.

Yes... is there any other way?

On another client box, a Linux machine that did the PPP by itself,
I made a script that kills all user processes when the user logs out.
Drastic... but stray user processes were screwing up the
accounting.

--
miguel a.l. paraz <map@iphil.net> iphil communications, makati, philippines