Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 00:05:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        randy@zyzzyva.com (Randy Terbush)
Subject:   Re: IDE install

As Randy Terbush wrote:

> I attempted to install a new set of boot blocks to FORCE_COMCONSOLE
> with 'disklabel -B wd0' after recompiling the boot code from
> FreeBSD-stable. The result nuked my partition table and MBR on
> the drive forcing me to reinstall.

Well, instead of reinstalling, you could have asked. :)

Yes, the old disklabel(8) nuked the fdisk table when installing a new
bootstrap.  (I have fixed this since.)  However, you don't actually
need the fdisk table at all, and you might probably have noticed that
your system was still able to boot into single-user.  Anyway,
sysinstall has been creating an /etc/fstab file with the `sliced'
notion of all non-root partitions, e.g.

/dev/sd0a	/	ufs ...
     ^^^^___________________________ non-sliced root f/s
/dev/sd0s1b	swap	swawp ...
/dev/sd0s1e	/usr	ufs ...
        ^^__________________________ sliced naming convention

*This* was what caused it to stumple across the invalid fdisk table.
(Slices [aka. ``fdisk partitions''] are only available with a valid
fdisk table.)  Removing the `s1' substrings from within single-user
mode would have saved you.  Note that ed(1) is available on the root
file system.

Btw., the non-sliced naming is called ``compatibility slice'', and it
always refers to the first fdisk slice with an 0xa5 signature, or to
the entire disk for a non-sliced disk.

--
cheers, J"org