Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 12:03:13 +0200
From:      Thomas Roell <roell@blah.a.isar.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        roell@blah.a.isar.de (Thomas Roell), msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

In your message of 7 April 1996 you write:

> You can do the same thing without needing another process if you popen
> a fipe and write events to yourself that can then be selected upon.
>
> THis might very well fix your buffering id 1K vs. 6k (5k pipe + 1k kernel)
> is enough to fix the problem for you.

I think you don't get it. The problem is no matter what I do, select()
will be only called rarely, which means that a pipe would not help at
all. Increasing the buffer size by any means just moves the problem to
a different threshold, rather than solving it.

Just another example. We are (aehm from the sales prespective will be)
supporting HW-MPEG playback. The MPEG chip is fed with data
asynchronously via periodical SIGALARM calls. It is easily possible
that depending upon your bitstream, that for a while the X-Server will
not get back to the select() at all.

> > Right. This is what SVR4 (except Solaris), SCO and AIX are doing.
>
> Well.  It seems that you really want a fix in another area of BSD,
> and that this fix is just a software fix to the fact that the other
> area is broken.  8-).

What I want is being able to open multple /dev/ttyd* devices and get a
SIGIO if there is new input available.

- Thomas
--
Denver Office                THOMAS ROELL        /\      Das Reh springt hoch,
+1(303)298-7478              X INSIDE INC       /  \/\   das Reh springt weit,