Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 15:31:59 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd IDE problem????

I have a friend who has a Packard Bell machine.  This has a IDE
controller built into the motherboard.  When I try to boot FreeBSD
2.1R GENERIC on this, I get the following error messages:

wd0: interrupt timeout:
wd0: status 58<seekdone,drq> error 0
wd0: interrupt timeout:
wd0: status 50<seekdone> error 1<no_dam>

Sometimes after the fsck, sometimes during, sometimes before.  these
were the same errors that happened about once a fortnight under
1.1.5.1R.  He's upgrading in the hopes that the situation will get
better, but it hasn't.

We were able to load a 2.1R image onto the disk that is telling us
this on a 386 box.  So we tried to slow down the kernel by putting
delays in after each out.  This didn't help much.  We tried running
bad144 on the drive, only to get an error at different points each
time (sometimes at 1000ish, others at 3000ish, 6000ish, 4000ish,
etc).  We tried a different disk drive, same problem.  We tried
disabling the built in IDE controller, same problem (both disks, that
work fine with a 386DX40).

We swapped out the CPU and the problem still persisted, either with
the builtin IDE controller, or with the one on a multi-function card
that we tried earlier.

Oh, and the system was billed as green, but it isn't a laptop.  The
drives in question are a Conner CFS420A (master) and a Conner CP30204
(Slave).  All combinations of master/slave result in the same
behavior.  Both these disks were able to survive an install on the
above 386 (with a builtin IDE controller, so we can't move it to the
486).

Smells like a hardware failure to me. I thought I'd double check here
to make sure before I suggested new hardware.

Has anybody seen this before?

Warner