Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:11:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: DVORAK keyboard drivers

As Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:

> You just don't get it. The "support that is (was) there" consisted
> of dumping a raw keymap into the server overwriting the one that's
> compiled in. That "support" is still there and you'll get it if you
> use -xkb or XkbDisable. But XKB doesn't work take raw keymaps. If
> you had read any of the other stuff I've posted on this topic then
> you would have understood this. XKB takes names. Sun

So at least the original keymaps (instead of the binary crap that
could be sucked via the SysV ioctl) should be enough to create a
modified Xkb map, are they?  For syscons, they seem to always contain
a full keymap description like:

  000   nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop     O
  001   esc    esc    esc    esc    esc    esc    esc    esc     O
  002   '1'    '!'    nop    nop    '1'    '!'    nop    nop     O
  003   '2'    '"'    nop    nop    253    253    nop    nop     O
  004   '3'    245    nop    nop    252    252    nop    nop     O

For pcvt, they just ``declare the exceptions'' over the standard
(US-ASCII) map, for example my own German entry:

de-prog|germany-prog|programmer's mapping for german keyboard:\
        :K27=]:S27=}:A27=\374:C27=\334:\
        :K40=\\:S40=|:A40=\366:C40=\326:\
        :K41=[:S41={:A41=\344:C41=\304:\
        :K126=\032:C126=\003:\
        :tc=de:

> and Digital boxes return country codes that can easily be translated
> to names.  FreeBSD needs an interface that returns names, not
> keymaps.

Complain to the fathers of SysV, that's where we have stolen the
interface for what is currently in syscons and pcvt.  pcvt only did
this to avoid bloating the Xserver by yet another incompatible way of
retrieving the keyboard mapping.  (For pcvt, this even means the
ISO-8859-1 mapping has to be converted back to IBM437 crap, before it
is being passed up to the Xserver, which will in turn convert it into
ISO-8859-1.  Ick.)

>  In the mean time, editing your XF86Config file is the solution.
> Is that such a difficult concept?

Yes.  It's unacceptable.  The IMHO only practical way is to provide an
upgrade tool that can create Xkb maps from whatever input data we
already have.  (This is in no way to blame you for this, but that
doesn't make your attitude ``Use vi to edit your XF86Config'' more
acceptable for our users.)

--
cheers, J"org