Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 06:58:33 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DVORAK keyboard drivers

> >  In the mean time, editing your XF86Config file is the solution.
> > Is that such a difficult concept?
>
> Yes.  It's unacceptable.

Humbug. You're just being stubborn. If you're going to assert that
trivial config file edits are unacceptable then you're opening the
door for a whole new class of complaints. For example, the ldconfig
in /etc/rc is wrong for me, and I had to edit it -- unacceptable.
The gateway config in /etc/sysconfig is wrong for me and I had to
edit it -- unacceptable. The system didn't have me in /etc/passwd
when I loaded it, and I had to edit it -- unacceptable. Is that what
you want? No, I didn't think so.

>The IMHO only practical way is to provide an
> upgrade tool that can create Xkb maps from whatever input data we
> already have.

XKB has a tool that creates keymaps from input data. The tool is portable
across all platforms that X runs on, and the input data is extensible.
I think you should learn how to use the tools that exist before telling
me that more tools need to be written. But if you want to stick to that
line, feel free to write a new tool.

> (This is in no way to blame you for this, but that
> doesn't make your attitude ``Use vi to edit your XF86Config'' more
> acceptable for our users.)

I'm one of your users, I don't find it unacceptable. I think you need
to find a different crusade. I don't buy this crap about editing your
XF86Config being too hard. Most people have to edit it anyway after
they get their modelines figured out anyway. One more edit for the
keyboard isn't going to hurt them.

XKB is now part of the X Consortium implementation. If you want to
stick your head in the sand, use -xkb or XkbDisable. I suppose you're
going to tell me that the edits to do this are unacceptable too, eh?
If you don't want to do even that then stick with R6.

--

Kaleb "getting grumpier" KEITHLEY