Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:39:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVORAK keyboard drivers

> > >  In the mean time, editing your XF86Config file is the solution.
> > > Is that such a difficult concept?
> >
> > Yes.  It's unacceptable.
>
> Humbug. You're just being stubborn. If you're going to assert that
> trivial config file edits are unacceptable then you're opening the
> door for a whole new class of complaints. For example, the ldconfig
> in /etc/rc is wrong for me, and I had to edit it -- unacceptable.
> The gateway config in /etc/sysconfig is wrong for me and I had to
> edit it -- unacceptable. The system didn't have me in /etc/passwd
> when I loaded it, and I had to edit it -- unacceptable. Is that what
> you want? No, I didn't think so.

This is getting rediculous, what we are trying to communicate is
that the user shouldn't know about different cryptic options modelines
and whatnot in order to run X. Xinside has done a little menubased
tool for this, that is intuitive and easy to use, THAT is what you
are up against not our stubbornness. I see absolutely NO reason why
the user should be bothered with whats in Xconfig, its hackers meat
not user stuff, period. AS for the keyboard layout, that is ONE
line in the tool whith a picklist of the available languages, thats
it, and it'll work on ALL systems, and its damn easy to explain
to the end user.

> XKB is now part of the X Consortium implementation. If you want to
> stick your head in the sand, use -xkb or XkbDisable. I suppose you're
> going to tell me that the edits to do this are unacceptable too, eh?
> If you don't want to do even that then stick with R6.

I think I'll stick with my Xinside server, thankyou..

> Kaleb "getting grumpier" KEITHLEY

Thats not even remotely what I feel....
Could we get back to work now, please...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.