Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:17:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        djr@saa-cons.co.uk (Dave Roberts)
Cc:        Firewalls@GreatCircle.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Solaris2.5 and BSD* - Facts

As Dave Roberts wrote:

> AFAIK, the facts stand as follows (please corrent me if I am wrong).
> BSD offers the immutable flag - Solaris does not.
> BSD gives me source code - Solaris does not.
> BSD allows me to compile stuff (ls etc) with static libs - Solaris does
> not (if I remember a thread a while ago).
>
> That's all I can think of.  Please don't mail back with arguments about
> having source code or not, or static libraries vs dynamic, think those
> have been beaten to death :)

Sorry for bothering you again with the ``there's source code''
argument.  After listening to a talk about firewalls at the last GUUG
(German Unix Users Group) Sprint Meeting, i realized that kernel
source is also interesting to have.  You can remove all the security
related ``extras'' in the kernel (IP forwarding, IP source routing,
log connection attempts, ...) if you've got the source.  And yes,
_remove_, with vi in the source.  This cannot be enabled again via an
MIB variable. :-)

--
cheers, J"org