Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 00:09:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Subject:   Re: PPP routing problem

As Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > Don't use proxyarp. :)
> >
> 	I'm not, or at least not to the best of my knowledge.  OKay, now
> I feel stupid...how do I disable proxyarp?  How do I know if I'm using it?

Well, of course, you don't need to have proxyarp.  It's quite possible
that your PPP client was invisible from the outside world.

Proxyarp is just `arp -s', e.g. from within the ip-up script.  It's
used to ``wire'' a PPP (or SLIP) external host into your local
ethernet, so the PPP gateway will act as a proxy, using its own
ethernet address on behalf of the remote PPP end.

Nevertheless, you've assigned your remote PPP machine an address out
of the range of your local ethernet.  Everything works fine as long as
this machine is connected.  Now, the machine disconnects, the
interface route out to it disappears, but as soon as the next packet
for this IP address arrives, a regular ARP resolve is attempted.  It
never succeeds, but the half-baked entry to link#1 remains in the
routing table.

The only workaround i've found for it by now (short of understanding
the routing code in the kernel) was to run ``arp -d'' for this IP
address in the ip-up script, and retrying the ifconfig.  This still
leaves a minor window where a new incoming packet for this IP address
could trigger another ARP attempt.

--
cheers, J"org