Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:44:22 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mrouted for SGI

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996 18:25:05 +0200
"Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

kuku> I'm testing conferencing software with partners in a remote network
kuku> They have SGIs, I have FreeBSD. I'm running mrouted on one machine
kuku> in my local network. To reach them I guess they have to run mrouted
kuku> as well, don't they?

Yeah, some machine on their net has to be running mrouted to
unencapsulate the multicast packets and slam them on their net. Could
be an SGI, could be FreeBSD, could be anything.

kuku> I don't know Irix very well.Does it have mcast built in or is there
kuku> a kernel rebuild required? Also I think they should run one of
kuku> the latest versions (3.8?) of the mrouting software.
kuku>
kuku> Where can I get Irix a mrouted for Irix?

Our SGIs came with an ancient (2.*) version of mrouted. I think newer
ones may have more recent versions. But you can get mrouted-3.8 from
ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/ipmcast/IRIX5/5.3/mrouted3.8.tar.Z. You have to
install hardware specific modules in the system and auto-reconfig the
kernel. Pretty painless.