Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 23:09:30 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        richard@pegasus.com, michaelv@HeadCandy.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for help selecting tape device

Jonathan M. Bresler stands accused of saying:
> > This is one of the most expensive `cheap drives' around.
> >
> > Computer Disk Service (805-499-6355) is selling Exabyte 8200s for $299.
> >

> 	ah, $300, well had i know then what i know now
> 	and all that.  new?  refurb?  the anaconda is new.

Almost certainly refurb.  The 8200 is fine as long as you're _very_
kind and loving.  If anything breaks, it's a throwaway.

I don't consider it to be a very good buy these days, unless you're
into picking them up at auctions for ~$50 each.

> > If you don't like the Exabyte for some reason then check into the 4mm
> > DAT drives.  The tapes are a bit more expensive than the 8mm, but still
> > less than a third the price of the QIC tapes.

This is good advice.  Don't reuse the DAT's too heavily though.

> > The reason the QIC drives are so cheap is because no one wants them
> > because the tapes are too expensive.

The tapes are expensive because they're mechanically monstrous.  This
is a bit of a plus in that it makes them _very_ robust.